SLEEP STUDIES REQUIRE A REFERRAL FROM YOUR GP OR SPECIALIST. If you don't have a referral then a Screening Test might be appropriate for you.
If you are unsure as to what type of study you require please see our FAQ's.
The Sleep and Lifestyle Clinic works with Sleep Services Australia Pty Ltd (SSA) a home-based sleep diagnostic company. SSA will assess the appropriateness of a home sleep study, undertake the data analysis and the Sleep Physician will write the report and necessary consultation. Our sleep study services allow the referring practitioner to order a sleep study that is comprehensive and performed in a timely manner. Unlike the traditional sleep laboratories, home testing means patients are tested in the comfort and familiar surroundings of their own home to suit their schedule and lifestyle.
The equipment used monitors the following parameters:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG): monitors brain waves
- Electrooculogram(EOG): monitors eye movements
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): monitors heart rhythm
- Respiratory and Abdominal Effort
- Pulse Oximeter: monitors oxygen levels
- Limb Movement: movements of the legs
- Nasal Airflow & Snoring
- Position Sensor.
All tests are analysed using the full Compumedics Profusion software suite which provides in-depth analysis and graphic depictions of events. Sleep Services employs only qualified and experienced sleep scientists and all reports are sleep staged and scored. A specialist Sleep Physician reports each test and makes appropriate recommendations as to treatment.
Symptoms that may require a sleep study:
- Regular snoring
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Daytime tiredness or fatigue
- Poor concentration and memory
- Frequent urination at night
- Gasping or choking at night
- Depression and anxiety
- Headaches at night or upon awakening
Health conditions that may require a sleep study:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Heart attack
- Complications during anaesthetics
Benefits of our assessment approach:
- Home based, for a better sleep
- Rapid assessments
- Accredited sleep physicians reported studies
- Timely, efficient reporting
- Independent and unbiased reports
- Easy to organise bookings over the phone
- Medicare subsidised service
Why would I be referred for a sleep study?
Reasons for a referral vary but may be related to certain symptoms (e.g. tiredness or poor sleep), your physical characteristics or health issues (e.g. high blood pressure, tiredness, urination at night etc.). Home sleep studies are frequently undertaken to determine if abnormalities of breathing are present during sleep.
Why is the sleep study so complicated?
The sleep study needs to measure multiple physiological variables simultaneously. We record these variables as:
- It allows a more accurate determination of any abnormalities such as breathing irregularities. These breathing irregularities if substantial may constitute a diagnosis of sleep apnea. The irregularities can result in unrecognized sleep disturbance, drops in oxygen levels and changes in blood pressure.
- Additionally, the test insures that breathing abnormalities are not overestimated (less complex tests can overestimate abnormalities). It is important that we detect accurately the substantial abnormalities as they can be linked to health issues in the future (e.g. risk of developing high blood pressure, stroke etc.)
- The sensors will show if there are small variations in breathing which may be important. For example, they may cause brief awakenings which can result in tiredness or symptoms of sleep deprivation during the day, such as poor concentration. These small variations in breathing may potentially cause more serious conditions such as stretching of the heart, which acts as a trigger for atrial fibrillation for example.
If you don’t think you require a comprehensive sleep study we also run take-home sleep apnea screening tests.
How do I book a Home Sleep Study?
After you have received your referral from your GP or specialist to undertake a sleep study you can contact the clinic directly and choose a convenient day and time for you to attend the clinic for your initial assessment and education on how to apply the equipment that night.
Alternatively, if you have performed a sleep study at another sleep clinic we are still happy to discuss your results or possible treatments with you. If you don’t already have a copy of your sleep study results to bring along to your consultation, let us know which clinic you attended so that we may request them on your behalf.
See Snoring and Sleep Apnea Treatments in our Info section.
After the sleep study we recommend your specific situation is discussed with a healthcare professional. The Sleep Physician consults are performed at all our Canberra locations.